Monday 20 September 2010

Mainly ships and water



SS Rotterdam, one of the most successful passenger liners of all time, started her commercial life in 1959 and ran for over half a century. On February 15th this year, she opened as a museum and hotel ship. It’s perhaps no surprise that, after 38 years full and part time service in the Navy, that she transfixed me. From the bridge to the engine room, from the captain’s cabin to the first-class lounge, she is an absolute delight.
Her more than 500 cabins have been tastefully converted into 254 rather larger en-suite accommodation than that experienced by her original passengers.
The self-guided tour is excellent, although I did get lost on a couple of occasions.
After lunch at the excellent Maritime cafĂ©, with its’ plethora of ship models and nautical memorabilia, a ninety-minute tour on the 600-passenger Spido boat is hugely enjoyable and gives a really good insight into Rotterdam’s position as one of the world’s major ports.
I’ve spent so much time on the water that there’s only a short time left to pop into the bizarre Cube Houses, designed by Piet Blom. I have no idea what living in them is like, but I found them odd and claustrophobic.
Despite Rotterdam Central Station being under major renovation, the passage from Metro to train with my luggage is easily achieved, via a combination of lifts and escalators.
The modern Sprinter train to Hook of Holland is splendid, although the new station is a bit of a trek from Stena Line’s (www.stenaline.com) modern ferry terminal.
I’m very impressed with the ‘comfort class’ cabin. It’s very well equipped with both a double and foldaway single bed, a fridge stocked with complimentary drinks, as well as snacks and fresh fruit. It’s only after I have settled into night attire to watch a live football match on the flat-screen TV, that I discover that my ticket includes a voucher for dinner. Too late!
The multifunction telephone allows me to set an alarm call, ninety minutes before arrival. I am showered and dressed before I realise that it’s still only 4am and that we won’t be allowed off until half past six. The early arrival is for the benefit of freight drivers only.
Manningtree's steps provide a tough test for my Live Luggage Sports bag, which now weighs around forty kilos. But its’ large wheels and solid construction allows it to deal rather better with stairs than any other bag I have found.
A weekend at home, then off up the east coast main line.

No comments:

Post a Comment